Loamhedge Abbey Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the read-only Loamhedge Abbey Forum. Feel free to visit the main Redwall forum, where the action is happening.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End of a Season  (Read 294 times)

James Gryphon

• Administrator
  • Abbey Beekeeper
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
End of a Season
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:14:52 PM »

After being down for over a year, and on hiatus for several months, the Redwall Abbey Forum has retaken its rightful place as the home of our community. The administrative part of the merger is essentially complete, and members are working to combine LAF topics with their old equivalents.

In a way this is the end of an era. I understand that some of you have built ties to this place. The Loamhedge forum, which was originally set up to provide the community with a place to stay while the forum was down, grew into a viable community in its own right. We've had a lot of fun and growth here over the past year. I've enjoyed having the opportunity to run it and show to the world what could be done when the Redwall community has control of its own site. And now, in a sense, that's over.

That said, though, I am confident that this move is to bigger and better things. I won't rehash the arguments I've made for that here, but will just say that the Loamhedge forum has served its purpose, in a greater way than I could have imagined at the time it was made, and that should be good enough for everyone who was involved with it.

That said, I'll talk for a little bit here about the future of the Loamhedge forum.

As you can see, this has been turned into an 'archive'. The forums are now read-only, and will take no new posts. You might be able to edit posts or send PMs, but I wouldn't recommend that, for the reason that backups made in the future will be primarily focused on the RAF forum, and your content might not be as safe here as it is there.

Even though it is no longer being used, the LAF will not go down completely and immediately. There are a lot of you that have content here that was not moved over to the RAF, due to the limitations of the tools we had available -- in the form of mentions, notes, tags, thanks, and some member profile information. That will remain available here for you to transfer to the RAF as you see fit.

After that, I intend to use Loamhedge as a testing platform in the future, for mod and theme changes, so that I can hopefully get some of this to work properly before I roll it out to the RACF. It is likely that the domain name loamhedgeabbey.com will eventually expire, and when that happens, I don't plan to renew it. Most likely, the forum will be transferred back to the Soopergrape domain that we started out with, perhaps under the old '/RAF' directory, or possibly a new one. At that point in time, I expect its use to most of you will have ceased.

It's been a time here. Little proves to be more permanent than a placeholder or a temporary measure, and so I'm honestly surprised now that this forum is ending so soon. That said, I think it's worked out for the best, and I hope in a few days, if not sooner, you will agree.

Thanks for your time and work here at the Loamhedge Abbey Forum; you've been a great community. Let's work to make the next year at the RACF greater than our time here.
« Subject to editing »
Pages: [1]   Go Up